Mary Meckley is the founder of Sip and Om and The Daily Meditation Podcast. She is a certified meditation teacher with a diverse background in all things peace and calm. She lived in Japan for five years studying Chado (Japanese tea ceremony), Ikebana ( the art of flower arrangement) and Feng Shui ( the art of space arrangement).
We talked about
- The story of living abroad
- How She lived and worked in Japan from one year to five years
- Strategies to find jobs and housing in Japan
- How she started learning Japanese & used 3 languages in Japan
- The difference between Japanese and Spanish language
- Advice for meeting Japanese and make new friends
- How she formed a group and built her network in Japan
- How she improved her Japanese over the stay in Japan
- The history of Japanese tea ceremony
- Tips to find Japanese tea ceremony in United State
- Advice to learn Japanese
Keys to Success
- Immerse yourself – join as many local groups as possible
- The more you put yourself out there, the more you will explore, the more you will build the association
- Newspapers for foreigners and participate those events
- You have to make your own ways and set a goal to yourself out there
- You have to get used to the environment where you are unfamiliar
- Have an Intercultural buddy, a travel buddy or a tour buddy to explore the local.
- Truly not afraid of making mistakes, use the language
Remember a small change in a day is good enough, so be consistent in your adventure!